Wednesday 7 April 2010

The Good Life

This week has seen the complete rebirth of the derelict allotment vegetable plot that my friend and I have taken on, as well as the arrival of 4 laying hens in my back garden. I've never owned chickens before, but in the 36 hours since their arrival, the whole family have really enjoyed their presence. They've even won over the heart of the dear husband who was merely humoring me until this point.


The installation of the coop was a bit of a debacle. A lovely friend of mine who keeps chickens offered to build  it for me from an old bunk bed she had and deliver it nearly assembled. When it arrived, it was much bigger that the space for which it was intended and was in approximately 37 million pieces. 5 people and 7+ hours later, it was assembled, and the girls are happily scratching away in their new home. We even got an egg!

Introducing our new ladies: The toddler wanted to call the leghorn hybrid Daffodil, so we stuck to the flower theme, naming the French Maran Hyacinth Bucket (Keeping Up Appearances) and the black Sussex rock Violet (one of my mom's fave flowers).Well, we kind of stuck to the theme. The spouse decided to name his speckeldy Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment